Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Talking about CONFLICT here

You may love it. You may not love it. You may shut down and fall over like a fainting goat at the first hint of it. But one thing is for sure - its inevitable.

While this is in the forefront of my mind, let me share some things that I've been thinking about these past few days. Rather than share my direct opinions, I'd like to point to what the Lord has to say on the matter.

Proverbs 17:27 A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding is even-tempered.

Proverbs 18:19 An offended brother is more unyielding than a fortified city, and disputes are like the barred gates of a citadel.

Proverbs 19:11 A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.

Proverbs 20:3 It is to a man's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel.


Conflict doesn't have to be a negative thing. It's when we choose to make it negative that it becomes so. Here's what a former pastor of mine has to say on the matter:

Much of what we do many times in life: We do the right thing, but in the wrong way! Intentions may be good. You may accomplished what needed to be done. The people involved survived. Yet it was done in the wrong way. Years ago someone taught me a spiritual lesson: If Satan cannot get you to do the wrong thing, he will get you to do the right thing in the wrong way. In so many areas, this spiritual lesson is so true. As I look back on my life and evaluate how many times I did the right thing, BUT in the wrong way, I am shameful. There were probably people I offended and did not even know it! There were mistakes made I had no knowledge of. You know - get the task accomplished! Isn’t that the most important thing anyway? Not always!
Be careful. Be sure that you not only do the right thing, but do it in the right way - “oops" is not good enough with “relational matters.” Don’t cut off the “Relationship Circulation” with anyone in so much as can be avoided.

Hope this encourages you today - no matter where you may be in the state of conflict: in the middle of one, coming out of one, or going into one!!

Blessings and love,
A

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing! reminds me of what Sally says, "It is not right to do wrong to do right." Love ya A!, B ;0)