Thursday, September 28, 2006

Plenty of People Work Out in Cemetaries...

Every day, on my way to and from work, I pass by a very large and breathtakingly beautiful cemetery. Today, driving home, I saw a man jogging on one of the trails and it reminded me of something I’d been pondering for a while.

Several weeks ago, I was riding in the car with a friend of mine and we were talking about motivation and working out…specifically about motivation to work out. My friend, a very active and disciplined athlete (a marine, marathon runner, etc) was trying to motivate me to become more active. As I allowed myself to entertain this thought for a while and actually visualize the picture he was painting here…he asked popped the question (no, not THAT question): “So what would make running fun for you?

{Keep in mind that he’s been trying to motivate me to run for almost 2 years now and, for me, “running” and “fun” are mutually exclusive terms.}

My response: “I guess it would depend on where the running would take place. I mean sidewalks seem kind of dangerous and treadmills don’t really seem fun. So, if there was some kind of beautiful place I could enjoy while running…yes, I think that’d be nice.” *I think you may be able to see where this is going…* Continuing the conversation, my friends asks “Well, ok, is there some kind of park near here where you could run?” …at which point I motion nonchalantly towards the window and reply “Well, I’ve always thought this one is very pretty.”…He does a double take to see if I’m serious and shouts “You mean in a cemetery?!”

So I get chided and teased about this for several days and, sitting here right now, I can still hear his laugh when I remember the convo…

Now I’m curious…just what DOES cemetery etiquette dictate in this instance? Is it inappropriate or irreverent or disrespectful to run on the trails in a cemetery? It just doesn’t seem right to limit the use of the pristine grounds to, well; I’m not quite sure how to word this part delicately so I’m leavin this one alone… I mean it’s not like I’m practicing a golf swing or playing ultimate Frisbee or tag football or anything! And I’m not advocating having a picnic there or camping out there either. I’m just talking about simple jogging on the little trails…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could run over my grave site if I had one all you wanted to, April.

Anonymous said...

Oh dang it, April that was me, I've never posted anything on this site before, so you don't have some stalker saying weird stuff. -Clifton

Anonymous said...

If by chance it's sparkman hilcrest, I know of at least 5 occupants who would be glad to allow you to grace the peaceful residence of thier physical remains. One is a VERY famous theologian and I'm certain that he would cheer you on saying "come when you can, leave when you must".