1: conscious of benefit received
It is so easy in life to find things that aren’t as we think they should be: a co-worker who talks too much; our team lost the game; the economy is in significant distress; our work is too busy, or too boring; our family is too nosy; our significant other too this or that. You get the idea.
During this season of thankfulness, please don’t miss this opportunity to take a moment and reflect on things that are good, lovely and pure.
Some of the things on my list this year include:
Family. Would you be who you are today if it were not for your family? My family is a wonderful treasure to me. Perfect? By no means. But they’re mine and I am certainly thankful for them. Hug a loved one today!
Friends. Who is that friend who truly “sticks closer than a brother”? I must say that I am blessed with some of the most kind, loving and generous friends in the whole world. And let me also say that they are incredibly funny! Since I’m several hundred miles away from my dearest friends, I like to send them little notes, cards or emails to let them know I’m thinking of them. How can you show a friend that you care? Is there a friendship that needs mending?
Tradition. What are your personal and family traditions? I know that when I come home for Thanksgiving, our family will indulge in some kind of interesting meal. Turkey is not a given in our household! One year we had Thanksgiving shrimp and crab legs – yum!! This year we are having a smattering of around the world cuisine (in the loosest sense of the word). So far, our meals have included tacos, spaghetti, French onion soup. We’ll also watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and re-runs of great old movies on USA Network (I think the Terminator series was running last year or the year before). We’ll also start decorating for Christmas.
Our Nation. Could we ever forget that we live in a pretty amazing place? It’s really almost as magical as Disney World. Right now, our country is in distress but despite its troubles and struggles, it remains a land of opportunity and freedom. One of my classes from this past semester (Leadership Theory & Behavior) encouraged us to find ways we can use our skills and talent to contribute to our country and society. I’m amazed at the sheer caliber of talent that surrounds me in my classes, in my work and in my community. I hope that you’ll recognize your own unique talent and find ways to use it to benefit your community and our nation!
Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:
Post a Comment