Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Miserable Elvis, Koala Love, Strategies for Finding Postage

That, my friends, is what I like to call “Scattershooting”. You might just call it random. Either way, let’s dive in, shall we?

Someone has signed me up for an Elvis e-newsletter. I have no idea who could have done such a thing. I’ve not visited Graceland, attended a vigil during Elvis week or entered my email address anywhere that might have triggered an e-newsletter. I suppose if I were being tortured with Milli Vanilli songs looped on repeat, I might guess that it would’ve been my office colleague who would’ve done the sign up. But, that is wild speculation at best. Speaking of Memphis…the aforementioned colleague forwarded to me this interesting link: http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/americas-most-miserable-cities.html

I’m going to quote liberally in case the link gets moved/changed:

Sandwiched between Stockton (#1 most miserable city) and Chicago (#3) is Memphis, Tenn. The home of FedEx has an incredibly high rate of violent crimes, with only Detroit faring worse. The 1,218 violent crimes per 100,000 residents is more than twice the rate in the New York City metro area. The city's sales tax and rate of government employees committing crimes also fall within the 10 highest in the U.S. Pro sports has been a mess in Memphis in recent years as well. The city's lone major franchise, the Memphis Grizzlies, has lost 74% of its games during the past three years, the worst in the NBA.


What is going on with the Koalas???? I saw this touching recap of the rescue of several koalas from fires that are devastating Australia right now. So sad! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29123220/

I ventured out to find a new post office location today. It’s not a new location, just new to me. We had lots of rain this morning so I tried calling other, much closer places to see if they had stamps – I was interested to know that the BP gas station does not have postage. Bummer. I checked google maps before I took off around lunch time…but got a little turned around. Here’s a tip: don’t trust following a mail truck…though they may often be found at, or near a post office, this is not always reliably the case.

No comments: