I was reading a somewhat current issue of Money Magazine and found a great (or discouraging depending on your point-of-view) table showing how much you should have saved for retirement given your current age.
I'm going to attempt to re-create it here:
Age Income Multiplied by... = Amt You Should Have By Now
30 $_____________ X 2 = $________________________
45 $_____________ X 4.1 = $________________________
50 $_____________ X 6.1 = $________________________
55 $_____________ X 8.5 = $________________________
60 $_____________ X 11.4 = $________________________
Here's an example:
If you are 30, and make $45,000, you should have saved $90,000 by now. Assuming you started saving at age 22, that breaks down into roughly $11,250 per year (or $937.50 per month). Sound high and un-reachable? Most people have a couple of things going for them: an employer match and returns on the funds/investments they are invested in.
So how are you doing?
You should be investing now for several reasons: you can avoid paying taxes (if you contribute on a pre-tax basis) which means fewer of your hard-earned dollars will be supporting a federal budget you may not agree with; the market is at super low prices (how often have you heard someone say, "I wish I bought xyz stock back in the 80's"? The market is priced quite attractively now. Will it go lower? Sure, it could, but that means even better prices - who doesn't love a good sale?)
How am I doing?
Well, I just ran the calculations using my age and salary info and I'm not even close...AND I'm contributing $2,357 every month!!
Glad I replicated this chart here...now I can throw away the magazine. :)
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment