Monday, May 22, 2006

I Just Don't Get Guys....

Does anyone truly understand why guys do the things they do when it comes to dealing with us girls?

2 instances from this weekend have left me perplexed yet intrigued…

Driving to AR on Thursday afternoon, I was behind a pick up truck that had a least 5 guys (about 19-20 yrs old I’m guessing). As I accelerate to pass them on the right side – they are looking and staring, laughing and waving. Hmmm, I thought, they must think that they know me or something. I leave them comfortably behind me and with a final glance in the rearview mirror, I pop in a new CD. 8 minutes later, these guys speed up and are “hovering” in the fast lane next to me. I try to ignore them thinking they’ll pass but their hovering persists. I glance over – one of the guys is holding a brown paper bag. Scribbled on the front in Sharpie marker – the words “I love you!” He flips over the bag to reveal the message on the back “What’s UR #?” I smile, wave and laugh a little then pass them again. Fortunately, the 2nd lane dropped off so they were stuck behind me until they turned off.

2 days later, I’m coming out of a local Wal-Mart, sacks in hand. Now, before I go any further, let me pause for clarification. I had TWO (2) small sacks – carrying them in 1 hand (over my shoulder). I wasn’t loaded down like a pack mule, and I didn’t have a cart. I wasn’t struggling, limping or wrestling. Just walking…carrying 2 sacks. As I enter the parking lot, there are 2 guys walking towards the Wal-Mart when one of them asks me, “Do you need any help with your groceries?” hmmm, I think “I think I’ve got ‘em – thanks though!” to which he replies “I sure would like to help you carry them”. I giggle and keep walking. I’m still giggling about the “what ifs”. What if I’d said, “You know what, yes, I’d love for you to carry these to my car!” What would his reaction have been? Was he really thinking that I would have said that? It just seems kind of odd to me…

I guess what I’m struggling to understand is this – exactly what are their motives and intentions in being so overwhelmingly straightforward? From a girl’s standpoint, or at least from my viewpoint, such encounters seem a little threatening or suspect. Just a thought.

On a somewhat unrelated note, when I got home last night, I had to load up a huge plastic tub into the back of my car to haul to Rockwall. It was heavy…and very bulky…I was really struggling…would have gladly let the guy from Wal-Mart help carry THAT to my car!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I don't get GIRLS! I mean how are guys suppposed to meet or get to know a girl they think they might like??????

Anonymous said...

Just thought of this after I posted the above comment. Answer this - what could Wal-Mart guy have done that you would have been like "ok, we can talk"?

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, the only thing you did wrong was not spraying the guy with your pepper spray! You were right in not talking to him. Safety first!

April Lynn said...

Matthew! You sound just like my Dad! To answer the question about what the guy could have done that would have helped his chances - a coworker recommended what I thought was a very appropriate response: “Tell the guy, ‘yes, you can carry my stuff for me…but only after you share with me your personal testimony!’” Isn’t that great?! If he says “Forget that” then it would be no real loss… 

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
John said...

Guys will make such overwhelming initiations to a cute girl because: 1) they are hoping for at least an interesting/entertaining reaction 2) or in the remote chance something even better, 3) they have nothing but a little pride to lose, and 4) it's totally self-centered so they don't really care how uncomfortable it makes the girl feel. Not that I'm speaking from experience =), but I understand the mentality.