Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"Do you have a PhD? No? Well I do."


This is a photo of the former Mayor of Memphis - Dr. Willie Herenton. He served as mayor of Memphis for more than 17 years, I believe.


Then, he quit.


Before his term ended.

Then, he announced he would be running again in the special election that's being held (because, again, he quit before his term ended) to get his old job back.

Then, he appeared in this bizarre impromptu Action News 5 Interview that completely took over the 5 o'clock news.

Then, just this morning, on the front page of the Commercial Appeal, the new official word is that he will not be seeking re-election....until he changes his mind I guess.

This all feels very Brett-Farve-esque, except for the sad fact that all this drama is very expensive to the city of Memphis (the special election alone comes with a $1million price-tag, not to mention the actual issues that aren't being attended to).

Go Google "Memphis" "Mayor" "Crazy" and decide for yourself.
{History on the photo: I was at a rooftop event on top of the Peabody Hotel this summer when the mayor showed up. He was kind enough to indulge in this photo op. This man is very tall! I had no idea. 7ft, easily...}

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, one tall dude! Bet you had to be careful...one moment of not holding your right arm study...you might have goosed him! LOL!

Katie said...

AL, thanks so much for following me! I'll be reading you, too. I can't believe that about the mayor...such a distraction from all the real problems to be solved.